Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Illinois
Because motorcycles lack the protective covering that other vehicles provide, motorcycle accident injuries are often very serious and even fatal. In fact, although motorcycle accident statistics indicate that they account for only 1.5% of total crashes in Illinois, motorcycle accidents account for 16.7% of fatal accidents and 5% of injuries.
Helping The Victims Of Motorcycle Crashes Obtain Maximum Compensation
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, you need a lawyer who understands the complicated legal and factual issues involved, and who is dedicated to getting you maximum financial recovery. The McHenry motorcycle accident lawyers at Taradash Johnson Janezic focus on representing the victims of motorcycle accidents, car accidents, and other motor vehicle accidents. We take a collaborative approach to legal representation, drawing on the experience of our team of dedicated lawyers, case managers, and support staff, to bring our clients an unsurpassed level of skill and knowledge.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, do not delay. Contact Taradash Johnson Janezic at 815-669-4635 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our McHenry motorcycle accident lawyers. As with all of our personal injury cases, we work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t pay unless you win.
Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents
Like all motor vehicle accidents, motorcycle accidents can be caused by any number of factors. While some accidents are caused by motorcyclists, most are due to the negligent, or even reckless, actions of other motorists. Because motorcycles are smaller than most vehicles, motorists often fail to see them or do not take the appropriate care when sharing the road with motorcycles.
Some of the common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Driver inattention
- Speeding or drunk drivers
- Improper turns or lane changes
- Poor road conditions or missing warnings
- Defective equipment
- Lane splitting
Motorcycle Safety Tips
The motorcycle accident lawyers at Taradash Johnson Janezic are committed to helping the victims of motorcycle accidents throughout Illinois obtain maximum financial recovery, and we are also dedicated to promoting motorcycle safety so that accidents can be prevented in the first place. The following are some motorcycle safety tips to keep in mind:
- Always wear a helmet. One in five motorcycle accidents results in head or neck injuries, but a properly fitted helmet can go a long way in preventing these injuries. According to motorcycle accident statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 40% more likely to die from a head injury than a motorcyclist who was wearing a helmet.
- Always avoid operating a car or motorcycle if you have been drinking. According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), the percentage of drunk motorcycle riders (motorcycle operators with a BAC of 0.08 or higher) involved in a fatal motorcycle accident during the late afternoon and early evening hours are more than double that of drunk drivers of any other type of passenger vehicle.
- Avoid tailgating and lane splitting. Tailgating is when a vehicle follows too closely to the vehicle in front of it, and lane splitting is when a motorcyclist moves between lanes of vehicles that are moving in the same direction. Both practices are especially dangerous when it comes to motorcycles.
- Obey the rules of the road. Motorists and motorcyclists are reminded to obey posted speed limits, avoid tailgating, and use extra caution when approaching road hazards.
- Wear protective clothing. Illinois law requires motorcyclists to wear protective eye gear (unless the motorcycle is equipped with a windscreen.
Contact A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, contact Taradash Johnson Janezic at 815-669-4635 or reach out online to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our McHenry motorcycle accident lawyers.
FAQ: What Should I Know After My Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycle accidents often result in more severe injuries compared to collisions between two passenger vehicles. As the victim of a motorcycle accident, you may have questions about how you can cover the costs of your injury-related expenses. Here at Taradash Johnson Janezic, we want to help answer some of those questions for you.
What kind of compensation can I get for my injuries?
Fair compensation for a motorcycle accident should cover more than just the initial medical expenses. A fair settlement should also cover future medical costs, pain and suffering, property damage and any other expenses that come from the crash.
Do I need an attorney if I already have a settlement offer?
Insurance companies notoriously offer low-ball settlements in the hope that they can get away with saving money. An experienced lawyer can negotiate on your behalf to reduce the time it takes to receive your compensation and also potentially increase the amount you receive.
What if my injuries are not serious?
Whether your injuries are serious or not, you should not be the one to pay for the costs if you were not responsible for the accident. It is still worth talking with us to confirm what you should do even after a “minor” accident.
Do I need to see a doctor?
Even if you do not think that you have major injuries from the collision, you should still see a doctor. A medical professional may be able to find hidden injuries like a traumatic brain injury or something else that could seriously affect your life.
How do I start an injury claim?
If you are trying to file a claim for your motorcycle accident, contact us today. Call our Illinois injury team at 815-669-4635 or email us here to schedule your initial consultation at our office in McHenry. We offer no-risk service, meaning that you do not pay us any fees if we do not win compensation for you. Come meet with us to see how we can help you today.